Fire Mage Trinket Question

Fire Mage Trinket Question

Post 27 May 2012 02:07

I am currently using the following trinkets:

- Insignia of the Corrupted Mind (410)
- Cunning of the Cruel (410)

I am wondering, is there any fights (such as Ultraxion, possibly) where the Will of Unbinding (403) is Superior to Cunning of the Cruel (410), Thanks!

P.S. - Which fights is it also valuable to swap the "Pyroblast" Glyph with the "Living Bomb" glyph, I would be guessing Warmaster Blackhorn Hc + Yor'sahj Hc, is this correct?

Re: Fire Mage Trinket Question

Post 27 May 2012 06:57

User avatarGuromin

Will if the Unbinding is always better. Will of the Unbinding and Insignia of the Corrupted Mind are BiS. The only time I would use Cunning of the Cruel is for Madness if I wanted to do more Blood Damage.

Glyph of Living Bomb is for any fight will excessive multiple target damage. It differs from 25m to 10m, but Warmaster and Yor'sahj HC are both good choices for Glyph of Living Bomb.

-Guromin

Post 28 May 2012 14:26

I disagree, I think you should use glyph of pyroblast on all the bosses and forget about glyph of living bomb.

Also i would use cunning + Will of the unbinding on the following bosses, Yor'sahj, Warmaster, Deathwing and maybe even on hagara if it's 25 heroic you are raiding. On the other bosses i would use insignia + Will of unbinding.

Post 28 May 2012 19:38

Thank you!

I have one other question that has sprung to mind!
What exactly does 2005 haste give you?
My friend tells me extra Combustion + LB tick, However I think it's only an extra combustion tick.

Post 29 May 2012 14:46

User avatarGuromin

The difference between using Glyph of Living Bomb and Glyph of Pyroblast is often very minor, and depending on your strategy and play style you can make an argument for either one. The style of using Pyroblast to achieve larger Combustions from obtaining more frequent crits can often be more challenging and random. For that reason I often recommend using Glyph of Living Bomb for multiple target fights (especially ones with spread out enemies) to combat RNG, stabilize damage and be more effective in terms of defeating the boss. For example, I use the Pyroblast Glyph on Gunship, becuase my guild groups both adds on the drake and I am able to combustion spread to all three. Any guild that does not stack them makes using Glyph of Living Bomb more effective because it increases drake damage which is far more helpful in defeating the encounter. The same is true for Warlord, in that Living Bomb damage during the add phases can greatly assist in decreasing the damage the raid takes by defeating the adds faster.

From a mathematical standpoint the damage output from Glyph of Living Bomb surpasses Glyph of Pyroblast when you have about %230 up time (depending on your characters gear of course). This serves as a good reference for determining when it's worth using and when it isn't.

The point I'm making is that there is an argument out there for using either one and it depends on your strategy and your goal in the encounter. Sometimes it's most effective damage and sometimes it's personal damage.

As far as trinkets go, I do not personally own Cunning of The Cruel in any level, so I haven't directly experimented with it, but from the research I've done it's typically better to use Insignia and Will especially if you know how to work Combustion. Getting an extra tick of combustion before spreading it to Yor'sahj adds will do a lot more than one Cunning proc. Additionally, the haste from the insignia will increase your casting speed to the optimal range allowing fireballs to hit, in what I call "the golden range", which is 1.0-1.4 second cast time. Two crits will then land on the target within the first two seconds of ignite and make it more likely for ignite to stack (and divide by 2 instead of 3 when the next crit hits). The result is a killer Combustion spread that will do as much as 11 million damage depending on how lucky and how well it is executed.

Again, I'm merely pointing out that depending on your play style and boss strategy the use of each trinket can change, but in general Insignia is much better than Cunning of the Cruel.

Feel free to ask for clarification or input on a specific encounter/strategy

-Guromin

2005 haste only gives you an extra tick of combustion.

Post 25 Jun 2012 15:53

Do you happen to have a table with all the various haste breakpoints for fire DOTs?

Post 02 Jul 2012 16:37

Does this mean that Combustion can't have more than 20 ticks, or that's how much was documented?

Post 02 Jul 2012 21:09

User avatarGuromin

No. The chart just needed to end somewhere. I do not believe there is a maximum number of ticks combustion can have. The only limitation is how much haste our gear allows us to acquire.