Confuzzled Fire Mage

Confuzzled Fire Mage

Post 16 Apr 2012 18:09

Greetings all,

I've skimmed through various posts and have noted that fire mages are being plagued by DPS issues similar to my own. My mage is based out of the "Argent Dawn" server and has resided there since vanilla.
Not sure if any further insights can help but I note that ignites are my particular bane. I utilize the add-on combustion helper to help but my dps suffers sub-par dps. I've gone so far as to upgrade some hardware to make casting via hot keys much easier but the problem remains.
After many months of forum hopping and discussions with other mages it appears my greateast problems are upping gear quality, a personal RNG beast lurking under my bed and ignite/combustion difficulties. I've garnered some interesting tidbits from this site and was wondering if there are particular add-ons I might utilize to streamline my play.
I use skada for a dps meter, combustion helper and DBM. If you have any additional information on applicable add-ons and play technique I'd love to here about them. For now I'll continue to sift through other posts in search of the elusive "Eureka" nugget of information. Greatly appreciate any and all feedback.

Abajaba =)

Re: Confuzzled Fire Mage

Post 21 Apr 2012 04:39

User avatarGuromin

Hi,

Here are some things holding your damage back:

-Glyph of Mirror Image is a DPS loss
-Your Main Hand weapon is not very strong. Try to get Lightning Rod
-Put mastery on your gloves; not haste.
-Change Herbalism to a non-gathering profession

Other than that you can of course read up more on mage theorycrafting. Elitist Jerk's is your go to resource for that so if you aren't familiar or haven't read through the main thread and comments it would be well worth your time.

If you have any specific questions feel free to let me know.

-Guromin

Post 21 Apr 2012 15:33

Howdy Guramin,

Received your tips and will act on them. Just curious as to which would be best profession to
go with for my alchemy? I'm leaning towards tailoring but I've heard enchanting is just as enhancing/
lucrative as tailoring. Any suggestions?

Abajaba =)

Post 22 Apr 2012 21:16

User avatarGuromin

Tailoring = Engineering > Alchemy = Enchanting = Inscription (cheap to level) = Any other intellect giving profession > Jewel Crafting > any gathering profession

Hopefully that list will help you to decide.

-Guromin

Post 22 Apr 2012 23:11

Hiya,

In this post he mentions about ignites. I also have a problem of not getting enough ignites, so therefore, my combustion does seem to pop enough.

Can you please advise whats the best way to get ignites up constantly.
Sometimes i can cast fireball and keep Living Bomb up for several long seconds, before i get an ignite.

Does crit help ignites ? Haste ? Mastery ? Or just pure luck ?

Cheers

Post 23 Apr 2012 03:19

Cypher wrote:Hiya,

In this post he mentions about ignites. I also have a problem of not getting enough ignites, so therefore, my combustion does seem to pop enough.

Can you please advise whats the best way to get ignites up constantly.
Sometimes i can cast fireball and keep Living Bomb up for several long seconds, before i get an ignite.

Does crit help ignites ? Haste ? Mastery ? Or just pure luck ?

Cheers

Read the main thread