LGBT in Finland

LGBT in Finland

Post 14 Apr 2012 18:48

I've recently done some reading on the LGBT community in various EU countries as a parallel to the, uh, progress here in the United States, if you'd call it such.

I've done a bit of reading from the countries of people who I raid and chat with in game, so I felt I may as well ask another group of Europeans. Best to have actual people to go along with the literature.

So, what is your take on the LGBT community? What is the portrayal in Finland? Does the online community on your particular service react positively or negatively to people of the LGBT group?

As EU countries tend to be a bit more secular than the US, I feel you'd be more, uh, accepting of an alternative view.

Re: LGBT in Finland

Post 15 Apr 2012 15:15

User avatarDiamondTear

Lots of people left the church when it went up against the gay armada.

Post 15 Apr 2012 15:44

What was the predominant church in Finland?

Also, that's curious that people would leave said church when it threatened to oppress a minority group.
The US seems to have gone the opposite direction in most cases with people waving anti-gay flags when told to.
Why do you think people left as opposed to going to go along with it?

Post 15 Apr 2012 19:28

User avatarllilja

The predominant church would be the Evangelical Lutheran Church.

I don't think religion in Finland is as strong as it is in some US counties (correct me if I'm wrong here, but I was under the impression some parts of the US are very much into the catholic teachings). Especially with the younger generation church isn't really that big of a part in their lives - it's mostly there for marriage and a few more "important occasions" etc. I can only speak for the people I've met, but most of them don't really believe all that the church teaches. However, many of them (such as myself) are still part of the church. Hence when the church starts bashing on minorities, it's somewhat easy for them to leave.

On a personal note, I don't have a problem with them LGBT people. I have more of a problem with people who judge them on that basis alone.

夢と希望のマシンガン

Post 15 Apr 2012 19:34

Interesting.

It seems what we've dubbed "the Bible Belt" in the US seems to be more of a non-denominational Evangelism or Baptist.
Catholicism, while a large portion of the religious, isn't seen as radical as those who called themselves evangelical.
Atheism/non-belief are shown to be on a rise in the younger generations simply because we're tired of the hysterical fundamentalists that seem to come out from under the refrigerator.

While, personally, I don't enjoy being judged solely on my sexuality, it's the sole reason many people here wish to see me enjoy my eternity in somewhere not nearly as nice as Hellfire Peninsula.