Grad research project on WoW players...Need your help!

Re: Grad research project on WoW players...Need your help!

Post 19 Feb 2012 12:42

User avatarDiamondTear

My previous guild leader wanted to be a dps instead of a tank because he thought that that way he could better direct the raid (since he saw what was going on).

Post 20 Feb 2012 07:50

Every raiding guild I've ever been in both casual and hard core the raid leader has always been a tank, however they also always had many raid ready alts of the healing and dps variety.
Also with what diamondtear said my current leader has a dps off spec that he will use to analyze a fight were working on as he finds it better to find our problems that way.

Post 20 Feb 2012 11:14

User avatarLadan

Looks like an interesting project and hope it goes well for you!

I would just add that it's important to keep in mind that you may not want to have too strong a conclusion as to why people select particular roles. Sometimes a role is thrust on them or sometimes the raid leader ends up being the tank more because it's a fundamental (but far more finite) role that needs steady attendance and availability not because they necessarily "want" to be the tank--you're as likely to find raid leaders doing a job because they know it needs doing and not only because they like it.

I would also say that if you want to look at more than one type of raiding guild across the spectrum of raiding (though I'd suggest that's quite complex for a short term project like this) you have to consider the different motivating factors behind role selection. A raider in a more competitively minded guild is less likely to retain strong attachment to a particular type of class or role, for example, than a raider in a far more casually oriented guild. The needs and outcomes of a guild often help dictate role preference or assignment.

Post 28 Feb 2012 19:39

My project is actually about teams and how raiding helps to build teams cooperation. Roles really have nothing to do with my current project. I was just using that as an example. I like playing tank, healer and dps because I get to see all sides of the raid. As far as my project it concerned its simple about how a raid can make working in a team fun and educational. Though at this point I may not actually use the survey and simply stick with the research I have found on WoW and team dynamics. Thank you all for your input and help as it was very helpful!

Blue