Ignite for Combustion Guide

Ignite for Combustion Guide

Post 01 Jan 2012 06:07

User avatarGuromin

Post removed. More information can be seen on the Elitist Jerk's Website.
Last edited by Guromin on 15 Mar 2012 21:04, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Ignite for Combustion Guide

Post 01 Jan 2012 08:28

Very interesting! thanks for posting this man!

Post 01 Jan 2012 08:30

Quick question on this, When i do a crit followed by another crit in 2 seconds, do i have 2 seconds again? like could i continue to stack this if i had the right circumstances? (i.e.: first platform on DW when heroism is used) where i could get fireballs off in 1 second?

Also.. im not able to get this to work.. im only getting like 4k combustions. Im standing like right on top of a dummy. I "fish" for a pyroblast proc via scorch spamming and once i have that i use fireball, the second i see fireball crit i use pyroblast, if the pyro crits i do notice that the ignite doesnt refresh but when i follow it with a combustion im only getting like 3-5k combustions. I don't have living bomb on the target though.

Post 01 Jan 2012 09:15

User avatarGuromin

Portalcakes,

Yes. You can keep it up.

Quick question on this, When i do a crit followed by another crit in 2 seconds, do i have 2 seconds again?

I don't know, but I assume yes because of Alysrazor and how ignite is able to stack continuously.

Also.. im not able to get this to work.. im only getting like 4k combustions.

4k combustions or 4k ignites? Don't measure the strength of combustion because it varies. Some ticks will crit and some will not. Measure the strength of the ignite you get, because that can't crit.

-Guromin
Last edited by Guromin on 19 Jan 2012 20:59, edited 1 time in total.

Post 01 Jan 2012 09:40

The tool tip over combustion says "Suffering 4396 damage every second" The actual damage is around 6000 that its ticking for "non crit" but even at that, im assuming it should be much higher. Shouldnt that be displaying around 10-15k?

Post 01 Jan 2012 23:15

Hi Guromin

First of all, I would like to thank for posting these great guides and replying back to questions.

The Situation:
Hagara is taking 100% damage after Lightning/Ice Phase.

Option 1: You managed to critically hit with a precasted pyroblast and get an ignite of around 30k and then combust.

Option 2:you managed to critically hit with pyroblast in the last 2 if not last second and combust.

Which of the options above would yield higher DPS?

I just wanted to consider whether attempting to stack ingite would be a good idea if combustion with the same DOT DPS can yield same damage results no matter how long the debuff is on the boss.

My instinct says option 1 there you should take a decent ignite and combust right there as the damage of combustion DOT ticks may fall after the debuff falls off if you took option 2.

Thanks in advance :)

Post 02 Jan 2012 01:30

User avatarGuromin

Flamage,

Option 3: Don't use combustion until Ice Tombs spawn and then take a 20k ignite and spread it :)

If you want the most damage, and the most effective damage it's better to wait until the tombs spawn and spread it. Also, I'm not sure what the difference is between your two options... Combustion is not affected by damage boosters, so if you cast it while it's up on a 30k ignite or while it's off on a 30k ignite it will do the same amount of damage. The dots need the buff, not Combustion.

-Guromin

Post 06 Jan 2012 08:26

First of all: Thanks for taking your time to explain this. Ignite has always been a mysterie to me.

The following is were I am lost though:

Guromin wrote:Instead of chaining Fireballs, cast one and wait to see if it crits. The second you know it crit, cast Pyrobast. The second you see it hit, but not crit continue with another Fireball. If you keep chaining Fireballs. Don't ever waste a Hot Streak Proc! If the duration is under 3 seconds use it, don't lose it.

I don't see how you can suggest not chaining Fireballs? I know Combustion is important, but with lets say 30% crit, there is less than a third chance that the pyro will crit, and mathematical this will only happen to often (30% crit + various glyphs, let's say 1 in every 5th fireball + pyro).

So unless I have misunderstood something, this sounds like a major DPS loss, unless the larger combustion makes up for the loss of Fireballs (Aoe comes to my mind.

Reckert

Did everybody see that? Because I will NOT be doing it again! Cpt. Jack Sparrow

Post 06 Jan 2012 13:08

The problem of ignite stack is that is not only RNG dependant, but also depends on the range you are of your target, so it's not that easy to stack it. Moreover you have to have perfect timing in order to achieve it.

PS: I think that the best way to solve this issue is to make that ignite generates different buffs in each crit so it will avoid ignite munching and ignite will stack propperly.

Post 07 Jan 2012 01:11

User avatarGuromin

Reckert,

With good reaction time you should only be waiting about .2 seconds and only waiting this time while a Pyroblast Proc is active. With about a 40-50% crit chance (depending on int procs and rating) it's unlikely that more than .4 seconds are wasted in total. Any time that there is no Hot Streak proc active chaining fireballs is the way to go.

I hope that clears things up and if it doesn't feel free to ask for clarification.

Thervandan,

I agree that it should make different ignite's and that chances of this occurring are very slim, but if you don't try you can't win. The strategy of waiting for fireball to crit eliminates some of the RNG involved and increases the odds of getting a larger ignite. I really do hope blizzard has some good plans for Fire in MoP.

-Guromin