Totally Disappointed

Re: Totally Disappointed

Post 25 Dec 2011 22:40

User avatarzYN

Metaphoric wrote:Your exploiting costed you a world first that was definetely within reach.

Pains me.

Yes. And previous decisions to NOT exploit have cost us world firsts. Luckily, we've managed to make up for the difference and get the end boss kills first regardless in the past.

There's guilds exploiting even now and Blizzard has resumed business as usual. No bans handed out, as there's no massive public outcry to do such a thing. There's guilds who abused getting "free" legendaries and as far as I know, nothing was done to them either.

That's exactly what I was worrying about. Blizzard does the right thing and goes heavy handed for such a minor exploit, but then ignores much more obnoxious cases of abuse that have a real impact. What's needed is consistency. Right now there's none.

Post 26 Dec 2011 01:52

It seems to me there are two separate races now... there's no way the race is the same for servers with double raid resets as it is for those without. (I guess there's also the oceanic race, which is unique because of the ever present lag.) Can't say I'm really interested in the progress of guilds with double raid resets - my own server has single, so I'm interested in the progress of guilds with similar parameters.

Post 26 Dec 2011 02:47

zYN wrote:
Metaphoric wrote:Your exploiting costed you a world first that was definetely within reach.

Pains me.

There's guilds exploiting even now and Blizzard has resumed business as usual. No bans handed out, as there's no massive public outcry to do such a thing. There's guilds who abused getting "free" legendaries and as far as I know, nothing was done to them either.

What are you referring to, exactly?

Post 26 Dec 2011 07:20

In this race you simply got unlucky. I know this and many others would definitely agree that if you weren't banned, things could have been a lot different.
It held you guys back for 8 days.
It probably hurt your morale.
But more importantly, most of your members took time off from work to be able to raid more but all this effort was wasted since your accounts were banned for that time.

Post 26 Dec 2011 08:42

zYN wrote:There's guilds exploiting even now and Blizzard has resumed business as usual. No bans handed out, as there's no massive public outcry to do such a thing. There's guilds who abused getting "free" legendaries and as far as I know, nothing was done to them either.

That's exactly what I was worrying about. Blizzard does the right thing and goes heavy handed for such a minor exploit, but then ignores much more obnoxious cases of abuse that have a real impact. What's needed is consistency. Right now there's none.

I am not sure what anyone is thinking how Blizard is watching/controlling the game. Do Blizzard employ many Neo´s like in Matrix which are looking at the logs scrolling over the screens and they can see all the actions from all the servers from all the players at any time? Not really.
Let us assume they do have all the logs from all transactions from all the realms worldwide. Will they store it for a duration of a month? Or a few days? Or forever? How many data will that be? And who should examine the logs?
I am very sure that Blizzard is always only reacting and examining the logs AFTER they got aware of an abuse. They can´t do that preemptively. The costs are far too much.
There might be some automatic routines like Warden, which are looking at obvious exploitings, bots etc. but we know that this is far away from 100% detection.
In the case of the double boss loot exploit I guess they simply looked at the first let´s say 20-30 guilds and examined there logs, armory, boss kills and banned on this basis. There is no mechanism to do this for all the guilds worldwide.
It is like doping tests in RL sports which are also only mandatory for the winners.

So I would like to leave the conspiracy area a bit and return to a more realistic view.

But I do agree that this World First Race seemed not to be very fair, the 2 times weekly lockdown of Tier 12 had an impact and I might have missed the reason why Korea and Taiwan got that. Maybe one could shed some light on me?

cheers

Post 26 Dec 2011 11:38

mendi wrote:I am not sure what anyone is thinking how Blizard is watching/controlling the game. Do Blizzard employ many Neo´s like in Matrix which are looking at the logs scrolling over the screens and they can see all the actions from all the servers from all the players at any time? Not really.

Underlining mine. Come on, use your common sense!

Exploits in raids will almost always be found by the top guilds who get there first. If Blizzard tracks the actions of the most active characters in top10 raidguilds during a few weeks per year, and does a thorough check of the first few kills of each boss, they'll catch most of the exploits.

Blizzard doesn't need omnipotence, they need focus.
Which brings us to the real problem: Blizzard doesn't focus on the race to World First, because they don't care about it.

It is like doping tests in RL sports which are also only mandatory for the winners.

Yes, and if a RL sports winner tests positive, he is disqualified.

In WoW 9 times out of 10 an exploiter gets to keep his World First achievement and the loot. That 1 time he gets a 3-day ban.

You're wrong, but I wish you were right: I want Blizzard to treat the race to World First like a RL sporting event. Where the winner and first runners up get tested, and action is always taken if a test is positive.

(Though I would prefer the lockout, achievement and loot were simply removed, so they can continue to try without exploiting.)

Post 26 Dec 2011 13:06

Totally disappointed? No. Disappointed to some degree, perhaps. This one time, the race was fixed. By whom and by how much is a matter for debate, but that doesn't mean I'll stop, well, rooting for Paragon, if that's how it's said. I find this similar to professional sports. Just because "your" team didn't win the championship once doesn't mean I will switch to another in the next race to world first. For me, they still are the world's best.

Post 26 Dec 2011 14:38

there shouldn`t be any dissapointment . keep it to fair play . grats to the Kr and life goes on . as for those people who said blizzard ain`t controling the game - > just remember how ensidia got banned . now add up paragon / method to the ecuation . u`d say blizzard doesn`t care who`s winning . u`re a fool . blizzard is a bussiness . they care for money . and asia currently represents a huge market for them as europe and us have been saturated alrdy . even for WoW who`s a dying game . i rly hope paragon doesn`t follow the example of FtH and other old school players / guilds that quited .

Post 26 Dec 2011 17:39

blu wrote:just remember how ensidia got banned . now add up paragon / method to the ecuation

Remember heroic Shannox, Chimaeron and Magmaw, which were killed using exploits, and nobody got banned for that. What's the lesson? Maybe damned if you do, maybe damned if you don't - it's a crapshoot to see what happens.

u`d say blizzard doesn`t care who`s winning . u`re a fool . blizzard is a bussiness . they care for money . and asia currently represents a huge market for them as europe and us have been saturated alrdy

Are you suggesting Blizzard deliberately gives an advantage to Asian guilds to help them win the race? I don't believe that's true, but I can't prove it either way.

i rly hope paragon doesn`t follow the example of FtH and other old school players / guilds that quited .

I'm not speaking for Paragon in any way. And I don't believe Blizzard deliberately advantages Asian guilds.

But if that was true, and if I was interested in competing internationally, I would get the hell away from WoW.

There's no point trying to compete when the referee actively tries to make someone else win.

Post 26 Dec 2011 20:10

this has been an incredibly fair race no matter what people said, top guilds decided to exploit so they go punished for it and another guild came through and won, it's their own fault for exploiting even if blizz hasnt banned people in other races. I havent played for a while so might have missed some stuff but from the outside it seems that some people cant accept that the well known top guilds have been pwned in this race and instead of just congratulating KIN Raiders etc.. decide to make excuses for why others lost.