Best Class to Assign on Meteors on Heroic Rag

Best Class to Assign on Meteors on Heroic Rag

Post 08 Oct 2011 11:36

First of all, I play a Frost DK and I assume I'll be mainly responsible for one of the two meteors.

My guild has just reached the 4th phase in H Rag and I wanted to get the best possible advice. I understand that melee make up a huge chunk of the overall DPS, specifically fury warriors, combat rogues, and frost dks. They are the top 3 of 4 dps classes according to Raid Bot.

I know that every bit of DPS matters when burning in phase 3 from that 40% to 10%. I also know that in phase 4, you'll need 2 people to be the punters on the meteors.

Being one of the top DPS'ers in the guild, I wanted to know if it's a wise choice for a Frost DK to be assigned on the meteors or is there a class that is better suited?

Also if there is a better class, why would that class be better suited for the role of handling meteors?

Re: Best Class to Assign on Meteors on Heroic Rag

Post 08 Oct 2011 12:40

User avatarxenophics

We have warlocks on knockback duty, with some help from shadow priests. Ranged is better for knockbacks in phase 4, well because they are ranged and have more spells to save the day with. Warlocks also take a bit less damage, as well a shadow priests, but get knockbacks to their spells. Hunters are an option as well, but they are quite squishy.

We have 2 people assigned on each meteor, the main knockbacker and a backup. The backup takes over when the main knocker kites, or has too many stacks.

Post 29 Oct 2011 22:17

Much thanks for the help xenophics.

I hope you won't mind me asking another question in regards to meteors on P4.

I'm posting again to clarify the role of the meteor punters. It's under our guild's impression that we should assign 2 people on the meteors, 2 hunters, and have 2 death knights as the backups. The hunter's job is to constantly attack the meteor everytime they get close and then the backups take over once the stacks get too high. There is NO kiting involved in our strategy. The meteors are constantly knocked back every 4-5 seconds as they get close.

This seems wrong to me.

In my opinion, whoever gets targetted should be running out to kite the meteor. Once that targetted person is very far away, he/she hits the meteor and that meteor should target someone in the main group. Once that meteor gets close to the main group, the person assigned to knocking back the meteor should hit the meteor, where it then chooses a new person. This new person runs out very away again and the process is repeated.

I've read many guides including Paragon's and Learn 2 Raid's, but it doesn't seem to be precise enough to help our guild.

I'm not sure if that's the right away either, but is it possible to ask you to help clarify what is the best way to deal with the meteor?

Thank you,
Zeus - Windrunner

Post 29 Oct 2011 23:16

User avatarxenophics

The meteor kiting is teamwork with the players who knock back the meteors and the ones who kite them. The ideal would be having the meteors circling the raid as far away as possible, and to accomplish that, kiting is needed. If you just knock back them as fast as it's possible (the debuff/buff drops off every 5 seconds), the meteors will slowly creep too close to your raid and blow you up.

For instance, if I get a meteor I instantly run backwards from my spot and take a look at where the meteor is coming from. Let's assume the meteor is directly to the north, and the raid is at the middle of the platform. So the meteor starts coming for me from north, so I decide to start running straight to the east. That way the meteor will instantly start moving away from the direction of the raid diagonally. I continue running east, and as the meteor gets closer to me I start going more to south east, and then finally directly to south side of the circle the platform forms. Now, if the raid is at the middle, they should have range to the meteor all the time. So when the knock backer sees a good spot, they just knock the meteor back from the "inside" of the circle the meteor kiter has been running. That way the meteor will always end up getting knocked back quite far from the raid.

Let's assume the first kiter managed to move the meteor to the east side of the platform and it gets knocked back from the middle to the very most eastern corner the platform has. The next guy getting the kite has the option to either run north, or south to keep the meteor as far away form the raid as possible.

This tactic works quite good also when the raid will be too far out for the knockers to help. Then the kiter can just run long as possible and get the meteor as far away as he can, and then do a knock back (making sure it won't be to the direction where the raid is at).

The most important thing is to start moving instantly when the kite comes, and keep the meteor on the sides of the platform. That way you won't need to panic that much with new kites.