Any tips appreciated

Any tips appreciated

Post 08 Feb 2012 05:11

I'm a 395 Ilvl fire mage on Burning Blade, I don't know if it's something I am doing wrong or if it's just how Fire is but I notice constantly that my dps fluctuates randomly, and I'm not talking about combustion then drop. What I mean is one pull on madness I can be doing consistent 70k dps, then the next pull on the same platform with no differences i can be as low as 40k. I like to think I know the major know-hows of a mage, haste cap, soft haste cap, ignite munching etc. But seeing my dps and dmg so random really gets me bummed out about fire and makes me wish i were more consistent. Another example would be normal mode Morchok where i would usually pull 28-32k dps, last week i was at a consistent 18k and had no idea what i was doing wrong.
http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-s1ldb ... etails/11/ Link to my guilds attempt at DS this week (we usually down madness but was havin an off day i guess)
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/b ... ynx/simple armory link
I'm pretty certain i have my reforging and gemming correct. I also know my dps will never be as high as it should because we have another fire mage in the group and we're constantly fighting over Critical Mass.
Please help lol

Re: Any tips appreciated

Post 10 Feb 2012 01:10

Hey Thelynt.

Went over some of your logs and your armory. Noticed a few things that may be helpful to you.

First lets look at your armory.

- 3 unenchanted items. You're missing out on 70 intellect and 50 mastery/haste. Thats a pretty considerable amount.
- Your reforging looks good, but it appears you've done it in a inefficient way. For example, you've reforged out of crit into hit rating on one item, and reforged nearly the same amount of hit into haste. Essentially you reforged your crit to haste in that scenario. which is a DPS loss.
- Try to chop off more haste. 1505 is all you need and you should be able to get their at that gear level.
- Your glyphs look decent, however it looks like you have some Arcane glyphs in your major slot. You're not going to get a DPS increase out of them, but i'd recommend changing them. Arcane Power doesn't do you much good in fire.
- Socket Bonus on your ring wasn't worth taking. You should use a 40 int gem in it.
- Max your enchanting out. Thats an additional 80.

Now, onto your logs. I'm not sure which fight in particular you're curious about.

For now i'll be looking at your Ultraxion log.

- It looks like you hard cast a Pyroblast after the pull. Pyroblast is great for a prepull, but the only time you want to hard cast this is if your haste goes so high that your fireball cast timer is shorter then your global cool down timer.

- You used 2 Mirror Images outside of fading light. Which is a small DPS loss, however you used mirror images at the start when a lot od your CD's were stacked as well, which is a pretty considerable DPS loss. The global CD wasted on mirror images is actually less DPS then fireball spamming. So only use it when you're on the move, spell locked, need to drop threat, or have nothing else you can do. (fading light)

- You used your second combustion just moments before your trinket proc. Always always always ALWAYS make your first and second combustion line up with velocity.

- The combustions that you did get off were really weak with the exception of your first one. Always make sure have a good ignite before using them. Guromin wrote an excellent guide for stacking ignites. Highly recommend it.

- There are periods where you're not refreshing your living bomb for 5-6 seconds. While it's important to never clip of a living bomb. A living bomb should take priority over anything but a good combustion window.

- Using a potion both 1 second before the fight and during heroism or molten fury range would be a great DPS increase.

Overall you're doing pretty good. It's a bunch of minor mistakes that are adding up. Another thing to keep in mind is the raid composition you guys had for that log wasn't providing you with many caster buffs. which would be a very significant DPS increase.

If you'd like to me to look through a particular fight, lemme know.

Oh and just to note, critical mass isn't just for you. It applies to all spell damage. So the other mage benefits from your debuff and you benefit from his. it just goes back and forth since its being refreshed by pyroblasts

Re: Any tips appreciated

Post 10 Feb 2012 02:46

Yea, I am aware of the bad glyph and the enchanting, the reason for the glyph is because it was originally my arcane spec and when i switched to fire, there are not a whole bunch of major glyph options for fire. The enchanting was because i was low on gold at the time.
I wasn't aware of my reforging haha, I used wowreforge.com and then compared that reforge set to the crit reforge set of askmrrobot, I didn't know the haste soft cap with T13 before i posted that and i had just found out about some ignite mechanics shortly after posting. I also wasn't aware of the dps loss of mirror imaging, i had always thought it to be a dps cooldown, albeit a very small one. Wasn't aware that Critical Mass was applied to all lol, sad the things i should know as a mage that i don't.

Thank you very much for the input, I will make sure to try to more efficiently reforge and gem as well as fix glyphs and etc.
Again, Thanks for the help.

Edit: Just finished reforging my haste and enchanting my items as well as changing that gem. at 1542 haste now with 1656 or so crit.