Room for improvement?

Room for improvement?

Post 05 Jan 2012 17:36

Hello!

I have been a fire mage since close to the end of 4.2. I have fairly decent gear, and am pretty sure I am doing the rotation to the best on my abilities. However, I just can't seem to pull the numbers I want to.

Here is my armory:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/d ... s/advanced

As for my rotation:

I start out every fight with a scorch, to apply critical mass,
Then I put up LB,
Flame Orb, every time it's up (unless the situation would see that as a bad idea),
Fireball until a "Pyroblast!" proc,
Reapply LB as needed,
Combustion when all dots are up and have a good ignite.

From what you can see, is there anything i'm doing wrong? The numbers i've been putting up recently in DS are about 20-28k DPS.

Re: Room for improvement?

Post 05 Jan 2012 19:19

User avatarGuromin

Voluros,

Here are some of the potential problems I can see that are preventing good dps. I do want to mention that you have no logs and didn't mention how much dps you are doing (and on what fight) to give me a basis for how much you should be doing.

You don't have a tier 4 set. Using only the t13 2 set is a dps loss if you have the t12 4 set available for use.

Reforging is sub-optimal. Right now you are .26% over the hit cap, and have too much haste. Refer to my fire mage guide for details. Reforging should be to 1505 haste and 1742 hit. The rest should be put into crit rating.

As far a trinkets go yours are not very good. Darkmoon Card: Volcano is better than Rune of Zeth and Foul Gift of the Demon Lord (drops off Mannoroth and Varo'then in Well of Eternity) is better than Bottled Wishes. Obtaining these two trinkets (or another that is better) would significantly improve your damage.

I also noticed you don't have two fully leveled professions. Having maxed our Jewel Crafting would provide more intellect and consequently increase dps. Every bit counts and it all adds up!

As far as your rotation, it all looks pretty goof if it's executed that way. Without logs I can't tell you for sure if it's correct. The only slight modificiation I would make is changing the initial scorch cast to a Pyroblast. A well timed Pyroblast at the pull will do more damage and also apply Critical Mass.

Hope it helps,

-Guromin

P.S. 100th thread in the mage section!

Re: Room for improvement?

Post 05 Jan 2012 21:08

Thank you for the advice, I have reforged and how have 1590 haste, 2030 crit, and 1753 hit. I will work on getting the Darkmoon Card and other trinket, along with leveling my jewelcrafting.