Looking for ways to improve.

Looking for ways to improve.

Post 30 Dec 2011 06:43

Hello Paragon Mage forum!

I've been playing my mage a bit more in 4.3 and ive been having trouble pulling the numbers i'd like. I feel like i should be doing a bit more with the gear i have and i'm familar with the basics of the mage but just wanted to get the input of a more experienced player.

Armory:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/l ... u/advanced

World of Logs report:
http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-7o5hgh3oaqsc7ybt/

Not sure why our DW kill wasn't logged this week. Feel free to check last weeks kill, thats the fight im really interested in pulling through on.

Re: Looking for ways to improve.

Post 30 Dec 2011 11:04

Did a dummy test against another mage, we did around 5 million damage and this mage just creamed me. She did 35k and bursted up to 60k self buffed. and i ended ar 27k peaking at 32. She doesnt have her 4 set.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/l ... i/advanced

I was looking through recount and she had 1 more fireball then i did, 6 more pyroblast! but quite a few more combustion ticks. It was just myself and her in the group and there were no other buffs present. We used Heroism and prepotted. So i imagine she just got a huge combustion with her trinket proc and got a billion ticks on it but still.. how is she doing that much damage?

Post 31 Dec 2011 14:22

Hello, did she wear t12 4set bonus?

Post 31 Dec 2011 14:25

Nvm, just noticed the armory link. She does have some more SP than you , and aloot more haste.
Might just be luck aswell with the procs. The DPS can be very diffrent depending on how much you proc. etc

Post 31 Dec 2011 23:54

Yeah, she has more haste, quite a bit more. But i have mountains of crit on her.. which should be the greater stat since im reaching 2006 haste with my tier.

i dunno, maybe she just got really lucky and i was unlucky, but i don't think the difference should have been that high.

Post 01 Jan 2012 09:23

User avatarGuromin

Portalcakes,

First of all, I think she was cleaving multiple dummies and if not I don't know what to tell you. Without having logs to reference there isn't much I can do...

Are you refreshing Living Bomb before you press the button on Ultraxion? If you are, don't because it's a dps loss. On third of the damage from Living Bomb comes from the explosion and that is lost when it is refreshed.

32k in a 10m isn't bad. It could be better (via larger combustion and possibly other subtle tweaks), but you didn't even use Blood Lust that pull! How silly! Try looking at the BiS trinket list I linked in my guide (last page). That might help out a little. Otherwise, I think your gear looks alright.

Rather short post in retrospect to my others. If I missed something or you have a more specific question about a fight in particular or something let me know.

-Guromin

P.S. If your guide is having issues with H10 Morchok try 4 healing it. It made it much easier for my friends guild :)

Post 01 Jan 2012 10:32

Thanks for the reply!

Unfortunately we didnt even attempt HM's this week. we were missing 1 of our 3 healers so we decided to skip it and do normal modes.

I suppose the biggest issue im having is good combustions. Ive read your ignite guide as well as various other guides and i'm a tad bit confused.

I'll write a big block of text if you care to read it about what i think combustion and ignites do. As far as i'm aware this is how it works.

Fireball crit for 100k (i wish) 40k ignite applied to target or a 10k "DPS" dot. If i used combustion at that very moment with the 40k ignite and only the 40k ignite my combustion should do 10k damage every tick (non crit) correct?

Im also lead to believe that ignites stack. I read that you said that crits must follow each other before the first tick (2 seconds into the ignite) and the following crit may have to be larger then the first. But other various sources ive read have described the ignite as a "damage bank" where half of is subtracted every 2 seconds.

So this would mean if i did a fireball crit for 100k, i would have 40k stored in this "bank" and it would tick for 20k leaving 20k left. Well lets say my next fireball crits for 100k as well adding another 40k totalling 60k and refreshing the DoT now i have a pyroblast! and lets say that crits for 150k and this adds 60k into this bank totalling for 120k, 2 60k ticks or 30k DPS. And im understading this can stack on and on and on so long as you gain 1 crit before the ignite falls off.

Finally, im a bit confused about combustion displaying its damage. I always hoover my mouse over a combustion after i pop it and it says suffering X amount of damage per second. Usually in our raid setting (10m) it will display around 8k and some change. Does this mean my ignite damage per second + living bomb DPS + my pyroblast DoT DPS = 8k? i feel like i should have significantly larger combustions.

Post 02 Jan 2012 19:26

User avatarGuromin

Post removed. Refer bellow.

-Guromin
Last edited by Guromin on 19 Jan 2012 20:55, edited 1 time in total.

Post 19 Jan 2012 06:29

Combustion will tick every second for 25,000. It doesn't matter how much "DPS" each dot does, only how much damage one tick will do. Ignite is so powerful because it only ticks twice, so now the dot that would have ticked once every 2 seconds for 4 seconds will tick once every second for 10 seconds (or more often higher haste).

I'd argue this is incorrect, Guromin. To my knowledge combustion does indeed take the sum of the damage per second of all periodic damage effects placed on the target.

If you crit for 100k and do a combustion with 0 mastery you would have a 10k combustion, not a 20k one.

If you read the combustion tool tip it states that it combines the periodic effects of all your dots and deals the per time equal over X seconds. Lets say for the sake of making things easy that X is 10 seconds. it would essentially make a 10 second ignite, pyroblast and living bomb combined and it would tick (depending on your haste) for the same damage per second that your current period damaging abilities did, of course it gets to crit and should be higher due to mastery.

Post 19 Jan 2012 20:26

User avatarGuromin

How can you wish you were a warlock? I don't understand...

I had this on my list of posts to update after I had did some more research on it. Also need to update my guides. Anyway, yes HappyToNotBeAWarlock is correct. Previous post updated to exclude outdated and/or inaccurate information.

-Guromin