Please Advise

Please Advise

Post 13 Dec 2011 03:36

Hi,

I have a question regarding Fire Mages and 2 Set Bonus on T13.
I currently have a Goblin Mage with Time Lord Gloves/Chest, and its bonus is " your fireball has 50% chance to grant stolen time, which stacks upto 10 times with 50 haste each stack ".
Here is my Question: Before i had these items i had T12 gear and my Haste was set to 1980 which casts fireball around 2.0sec each time and 1.6 sec with bloodlust/timewarp. With these new items i was wondering if i can reduce my haste stat by 500 and make it 1480, so that would mean my first fireball would take longer to cast but over the time warp stack it would make up the haste til 1980 ? can you please advise if this is possible ? Or do i have it all wrong ?
Thankyou for any feedback.

:)

Re: Please Advise

Post 13 Dec 2011 06:17

User avatarGuromin

Cypher,

I've been attempting to figure out at where I want my own haste to be and it's a tricky question to answer. Before I do go into the discussion I would like to mention that if you replaced two t12 heroic set items with LFR (384) or Normal (397) items in order to obtain the t13 2 set your likely loosing dps. The increased chance to Proc a Hot Streak provides an excellent dps boost and in addition it increases the ability to get larger ignite values when attempting to use Combustion. If you are unsure use Simulation Craft to test your dps with each set of gear (reforged correctly) and compare the outcome.

I have done a lot of searching to find a thread or some guidance on what other mages consider to be the best way to reforge with the new set bonus and I have found nothing. There is no rule out there right now for the "best" way to reforge with the set bonus. In fact, the best way changes depending on the fight. Ultimatly, the best way to reforge is so that when Combustion is used your character has reached the addition tick mark on Combustion (2005 haste for non-goblins in a fully buffed group). On normal mode fights I reforge to 1905 (2 stacks or theoretically 4 casts bellow the cap). This near guarantees that when I use Combustion I will have reached the next tick mark. As mentioned earlier there are some fights (like Yor'sahj) where using Combustion at the start is not the most ideal time. This situation allocates enough time to build 10 stacks before using Combustion. So, on Heroic Yor'sahj it would be helpful to reforge much lower so that your character has more crit. My last comment on this regard is that some trinkets that provide a haste proc should be careful monitored so that Combustion can be used even if Stolen Time stacks are not high enough.

Before I get this question (because I know it will come up at some point) using Arcane Blast at the start of a fight to gain Stolen Time stacks is not a good idea. It has been tested and is a dps loss.

Hope it helps,

-Guromin

Post 13 Dec 2011 21:32

User avatarEmo

Guromin,

After you get your haste ratings tested, would you mind updating your mage guide with your findings/suggestions on haste values?

Post 13 Dec 2011 23:16

Thankyou for your reply.
The information you provided was interesting. Yes i do have the 2-set T13 from LFR, and the remaining 2-set T12 are ( 1 is heroic and the other normal ). I guess i will just remove both the T12 peices and add some other items to cap hit and so on. I did some dummie testing last night, and with the T13 2-set bonus and getting 10 stacks of time warp, my haste or casting times didnt adjust in any way, so i guess to probably just a Haste/DoT add.

So i have done the following >

Removed my 2-peice T12 and kept my 2-peice T13.
Left haste at 1980, crit is abit too low for my liking but i cant reforge anymore to make up crit.

Cheers

Post 13 Dec 2011 23:47

User avatarGuromin

Cypher,

I think you misunderstood what I said about the tier items, so I'd like to clear things up. The t12 2-set is bad. The t12 4-set is amazing. If your only option is to use both 2-sets, then do so, but if you have the ability to use a 4-set (of either) you should. My apologies for the confusion before. I hope this clears things up and if it does not let me know.

After you get your haste ratings tested, would you mind updating your mage guide with your findings/suggestions on haste values?

Emo, I am not exactly sure what haste ratings you would like me to test. Are you referring to reforging to each boss, general reforging or something else?

-Guromin

Post 14 Dec 2011 07:36

User avatarEmo

Guromin wrote:Emo, I am not exactly sure what haste ratings you would like me to test. Are you referring to reforging to each boss, general reforging or something else?

I guess I assumed from your earlier post that you were doing testing with XX number, say 300 haste off of 2005, and then testing on say only 100 haste off of 2005, and doing dps comparisons.

I was really curious as to your thoughts about 4 piece and haste,I have seen some mages going as far as 2400 haste, and was curious as to what you were concluding from your testing.

Post 15 Dec 2011 07:45

User avatarGuromin

Emo,

I did the research and this is what the numbers say. With t13 4 set a player should reforge 500 bellow the 2005 tick mark even if it means the first Combustion is one tick short. The added crit for the remainder of the fight along with the extra tick mark on all Combustions after the first make it an overall increase.

Please note this contradicts what I stated earlier regarding reforging for specific bosses. I will update my guide to include information about this.

-Guromin

Post 15 Dec 2011 09:33

User avatarEmo

Thanks Guromin for the update. I was finding similar results as well.