4T11 vs. 4T12

4T11 vs. 4T12

Post 27 Oct 2011 21:51

Now, I know that the mage tier 12 4 piece got a buff, but the other day i was doing NORMAL nerfed rag and I got assigned to even side add 1(closest to the hammer). So we got to the first phase transition and got evens on hammer, I went to kill it(and being an arcane mage for this should be easy), popped AP and hit it once and a second time(no crit) and it didn't die, we were trialing an undergeared rogue and his hit the hammer too, so we wiped. We went in to do it, this time I didn't use AP but I hit with an arcane blast and immediately a PoM Arcane Blast again and it still hit the hammer. Long story short: my 1.78 second cast time on an unstacked Arcane Blast wasn't doing the trick. This is just one example of something like this happening(another would be breaking face rages is more difficult.

Since I've swapped out my 4t11 for 4t12 it seems to almost be a dps loss on most(if not all) fights because if I'm moving, it's much easier to pause and get off a 1.4 second flat cast than an almost 1.8 second. I was just wondering if anyone could let me know what I should be using. Btw, my 4t11 is 372 chest and 359 gloves, head and gloves. Here is my current armory http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/i ... las/simple .

Thank you for your time,
Sincerely,
Flealas

P.S. Was also wondering if it may be beneficial to reforge to haste, since my conservation most certainly is lower in damage, while my burn phase is significantly higher.

Re: 4T11 vs. 4T12

Post 28 Oct 2011 05:23

User avatarGuromin

Rileytucker,

While I understand and recognize your concern for the damage boost of the T12 4 set, I can assure that it is better than the previous tiers. Your gear's intellect will be a larger dps gain than the haste from T11. It appears to me that the source of your damage problem is not your gear, but instead your play style on the fight. On Heroic 10m Ragnaros a mage should be able do enough damage to kill an entire add. When you should be doing is casting arcane blast all the way until the very last second when Ragnaros submerges, then blink to your side of the hammer and activate PoM. This will allow you to hit the add the second it spawns and keep all 4 stacks of the Arcane Blast debuff active. In doing so your cast time will be shorter and in addition it will hit harder. If for whatever reason you are still having a problem you can push the add back by casting Mage Armor and running into the hammer. I know it is generally bad to inflict this damage, but in this case it will give you a spell power boost and push the adds back. In our 25m raids this tactic has saved the raid from certain perish several times and allowed us to progress further on the fight as we slowly endeavor to grind away the final percentages of this boss.

I imagine your other problems have solutions as well, but they do not relate directly to your gear, but instead play style. I can't give you a definitive answer without knowing the exact situation that surrounds these other problems.

I have stopped going through all the effort to take screen shots and show people exactly what to do for gearing, because anyone can look back on those posts to understand for themselves. If you want a better reforging calculator download Rawr. Easy to find on google along with instructions. If you have questions on how to make it work or anything else let me know.

If there is anything I missed or you have any other questions please make a post and I will get back with you as soon as I can.

-Guromin

Re: 4T11 vs. 4T12

Post 29 Oct 2011 03:55

Hmm, I did have the 4 stack when rag went down but the stacks didn't last. I've also realized, since I posted this, that my dps has been quite a lot lower because we have since moved into heroic modes. I don't pay attention to other people's numbers for the most part, only my own place on the charts, but looking through parses made me notice that everyone's dps has significantly lowered. I will try to see if I can time my ABs appropriately on rag. I can easily solo 2 and half adds on normal 10m, but it's just when it's so close to the hammer its hard for me.