What am i doing wrong?!

What am i doing wrong?!

Post 24 Sep 2011 16:00

sup cummunity,

i recently got my mage to 85 and im currently playing arcane or atleast i am trying playing to play arcane. In my Burst Phase i get around 20 - 22k Dps on a Dummy and after my Burst Phase i drop down to 11 - 12k Dps. So my question would be what da heck am i doing wrong.

Burst Phase: 4 Stacks of Arcane Blast and then i pop all my cooldowns without hc. At around 20% - 30% Mana i use my mana gem, until im around 10% mana i use Evocation.

After the Burst Phase: 4 Stacks of Arcane Blast > Arcane Missiles. I repeat it until all my cds are ready.

My Armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/de/characte...ydaboss/simple

I would be happy about any suggestions!

greets
Calligrapher

Listenwithyourearsnotyoureyes.

Re: What am i doing wrong?!

Post 28 Sep 2011 23:52

A couple of things.

First of all, you're practicing on a training dummy, which is a terrible idea of what you're going to be doing in a raid. Second, you are popping your mana gem AFTER your burn phase. What you should do(at least what I do), is pop everything right away for the first burn phase(since your volcanic potion will give you more overall mana, the gem isn't going to waste) then spam(60k dps w/ a lust), but the biggest things I noticed were that you are using your mana gem after your burn phase. ALWAYS use it before. The improved mana gem gives you a spell power boost, which is invaluable to a mage who is about to burn the hell out of something. Also, only burn to about 30-35% mana then evo. During your mana-neutral phase, you're going to want to keep your mana between 90 and 95% so that you're doing the most damage you could possibly be doing(more mana = more damage because of mastery) and at the same time, not be wasting your mage armor ticks. Also, if you play a blood elf and you go a little too hard on your burn phase and get to low, pop your arcane torrent and then do a 2-3x AB then AM because that should get your mana about to where it belongs.

Sincerest regards,
Flealas - Illidan-US

Re: What am i doing wrong?!

Post 04 Oct 2011 17:46

Above post is definitely right about using the target dummy. Although it is a "raid boss" dummy, you do no have the full buffs from the raid that include any auras etc...

For my burn phase, I will pop Arcane Power and Mirror Images and then AB spam until I am around 3/4ish mana, then I make use of a Mana Gem for the increased SP and of course more mana. Then I AB spam until I have between 1/3-1/4 mana left and then I evocate at which point I conclude my burn phase. I do not have a trinket for the burn phase as I am using the Darkmoon Card and the Pulse trinket from Rag.

A very good addon to manage this issue is called Mage Mana Bar. It flat out tells you when your burn phase is ready. It gives you an alternate bar that shows you exactly when to use Mana gem and when you need to evocate if you wish to be at full mana again. It also spams at you when Mage armor runs out and keeps track of your Flame Orb CD.

Hope this was helpful!