Arcane mage DPS needs help!

Arcane mage DPS needs help!

Post 04 Sep 2011 18:47

Hi! I would like to hear your opinion on what im doing wrong on my mage. First off, here is my armory link. http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/s ... lia/simple First i can say this. I know i got resilience enchant on chest, i know i dont have 50 int on bracers, also missing 65 mastery on gloves. Gonna fix it when i get better upgrades. Bracer im waiting for the enchanter in my guild to buy the recipe which hes doing today he says.

First off, is arcane mages supposed to top damage meters or are they just there for the 3% dmg increase? I did firelands first time today. Took down 2 bosses, on beth'tilac i did 16k dps and on shannox i had 17-18k dps. Lost the dps on beth'tilac and came second last on shannox.

My mindset when it comes to rotation is, ab x 4, into mana gem/AP/Pot/trinket. Then i spam until 35% into evo. Then i try to keep my mana over 90%. But i loose so much dps during my mana phase so i always end up around 15-17k dps after fights. I loose insane amount of damage during conserving phase.

Please help! What can i improve?

Re: Arcane mage DPS needs help!

Post 04 Sep 2011 20:41

User avatarGuromin

Haggeragge90,

Mages are not supposed to be top damage on meters or be there for just the 3% damage to raid. There are other classes that can provide that same effect like Ret paladins. Mages are not the top damaging class for every fight even though there a few fights where they shine far above other classes on damage. As far as your damage is concerned, the biggest issue is gear. You can't really expect to be the top damage wearing pvp gear and using sub-optimal enchants. I know you mentioned it already so it is at least good your aware.

It's rather interesting how you think of the conservation phase as a damage loss. Think of it instead as the best way to handle a somewhat bad situation. You could defiantly spam down to 0% mana instead of your conservation phase, but what then. You would do even less damage than you would have if you were at full mana. Think of your initial burst damage as burst and not the standard for your dps. Your rotation is really pretty good. There's a few situation tips and tricks you would always add into it, but since I am seriously busy lately I will just link you to a site that has everything you will ever really need to know.

http://elitistjerks.com/f75/t118084-cat ... ompendium/

Read the comments. They can tell you a lot that helps you.

As far your reforging is concerned. It's the right idea. I can tell you get the idea, but there's a slightly better way to do it. It would really only result in about 20-50 more dps which is pretty insignificant. Anything that returns a simulationcraft increase in damage of 100 or more is significant. To get your most optimal gear set, use Rawr in combination with Simulationcraft. You can of course google them both to find a download link and google how to use them if you don't know. I'm always happy to answer specific questions if you have them so just leave a reply.

Sorry for not being incredibly specific, but I hope it points you in the right direction.

-Guromin

Post 04 Sep 2011 23:27

spam more arcane blast

Post 06 Sep 2011 21:54

Guromin wrote:Haggeragge90,

Mages are not supposed to be top damage on meters or be there for just the 3% damage to raid. There are other classes that can provide that same effect like Ret paladins. Mages are not the top damaging class for every fight even though there a few fights where they shine far above other classes on damage. As far as your damage is concerned, the biggest issue is gear. You can't really expect to be the top damage wearing pvp gear and using sub-optimal enchants. I know you mentioned it already so it is at least good your aware.

It's rather interesting how you think of the conservation phase as a damage loss. Think of it instead as the best way to handle a somewhat bad situation. You could defiantly spam down to 0% mana instead of your conservation phase, but what then. You would do even less damage than you would have if you were at full mana. Think of your initial burst damage as burst and not the standard for your dps. Your rotation is really pretty good. There's a few situation tips and tricks you would always add into it, but since I am seriously busy lately I will just link you to a site that has everything you will ever really need to know.

http://elitistjerks.com/f75/t118084-cat ... ompendium/

Read the comments. They can tell you a lot that helps you.

As far your reforging is concerned. It's the right idea. I can tell you get the idea, but there's a slightly better way to do it. It would really only result in about 20-50 more dps which is pretty insignificant. Anything that returns a simulationcraft increase in damage of 100 or more is significant. To get your most optimal gear set, use Rawr in combination with Simulationcraft. You can of course google them both to find a download link and google how to use them if you don't know. I'm always happy to answer specific questions if you have them so just leave a reply.

Sorry for not being incredibly specific, but I hope it points you in the right direction.

-Guromin

I used simulationcraft, and it said i was gonna do like 12.5k dps on extreme moving fights and 21500 dps on patchwerk like fights. put it to 8 min long fights. I mean 12.5 k on moving? i better just specc fire then. Sounds like arcane truly is useless on moving fights