Need a bit of help

Need a bit of help

Post 05 Jun 2011 16:54

I feel lame having to come to you all in need of help. I have tried to figure the problem out myself but to no avail.

I use Rawr's optimizer to get my gear in order for raiding. I've switched between all three specs. Fire is my favorite spec to play, it is certainly the most fun. However, arcane seems to be pumping out more damage for me. The issue I am having is that Rawr says I should be pumping out 17k dps in fire and 22k in arcane and I'm only putting out 13k as fire and roughly the same for arcane (in burn phase it jumps to about 20k). I was wondering if anyone else see's anything wrong with what I'm doing. Or is that I am using Rawr incorrectly? I am customizing the raid buffs to fit what my guild currently runs with. If anyone is willing I am willing to reforge, re-enchant all my gear. I'd prefer to raid in fire since it would serve the most utility for my guild raids (we run 10mans).

My Armory
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/thrall/pressurecook/simple

I just started using World of Logs and only have 2 or 3 logs up at the moment. Both those logs are dismal so I won't be posting them.

*Note: My current gear is optimized for arcane, I went fire because I was doing Cho'gall last night.

Re: Need a bit of help

Post 06 Jun 2011 20:36

User avatarGuromin

Hello!

First off I want to tell you that you should never feel lame seeking help. The lame people are the ones who don't even try! I am always happy to help those that wish to learn and improve. Fire is also my favorite spec to play :)

I would like to start off talking a little bit about Rawr. Rawr can be an amazing program, especially for mages, but you really have to know what your doing to use it. I personally spent a long time trying to get Rawr to improve my damage, but I haven't been too successful in Cataclysm. I would, however, like to suggest a program that I do use; SimulationCraft (google it). This program tells you how much dps you should be able to do and calculates your stat weights (how good each stat is). Then those values can be plugged into a gear optimizer such as AskMrRobot.com to give you the most optimal results. Rawr and SimulationCraft do essentially the same thing, but I have found SimulationCraft to provide more accurate results. Rawr calculates your dps based on scaling values of proportional amounts of each stat and SimulationCraft simply looks at the gear you have on. When Rawr is fully updated and used optimally it is a powerful tool, but using SimulationCraft can save you some headache ;)

I would give you suggestions on your gear, but right now it looks like your in pvp gear. I'd like to assume you don't raid with that :)

As far as specs are concerned, it is good to see that you are trying many different specs. It is important to get a feel for each of them and be fluent with them all, however, for those that want raid progress you really just want to pick the one that best suits the fight. For example, Fire mages win on Halfus (heroic at least) every time. They have massively powerful AoE and in guild they call us the 'whelp slayers'. Choosing what spec to play is important for optimal dps. When I am looking at what spec I want to play for a fight I often look at WorldOfLogs.com and see what spec seems to do higher damage. This is a great way to compare what your doing to other mages and see if your doing it well.

I'll check back later to see if you have logged out in PvE gear.

If you have a question feel free to ask away. I have an answer :)

-Guromin

Post 07 Jun 2011 06:40

Thank you for the reply. I've logged out in my PVE gear now so it should be ready. My gear is also now optimized for fire.

I have heard of Simcraft but have never used it. I will be looking at it tonight.

Post 08 Jun 2011 18:16

User avatarGuromin

Hello again,

I took a look at your PvE gear and there's a few things you can do to optimize it. What your have isn't necessarily bad, but it could be better. Before I go into reforging I just want to point out a few things that could help your dps A LOT.

There's actually just one thing. Darkmoon Card Volcano. This trinket is so good that it is better than serveral of the 372 trinkets. You won't replace it until you get Shard of Woe (from Sinestra) and Theralions Mirror (from Heroic Theralion and Valiona). Bottom line powerful trinket and worth getting.

Next on the list is your ranged weapon. It's okay to use the 372 Finkle's MiXer Upper, but NOT the 359 one. Theresa's Booklight is the BEST in the game right now, so if you can get that do so. If you can't Cookie's Stirring Rod (from Captain Cookie in Deadmines), Corla's Baton (from Corla, Herald of Twilight in Blackrock Caverns), Touch of Discord (from Bloodlord Mandokir in Zul-Gurub) and Zulian Voodoo Stick (from The Edge of Madness in Zul'Gurub) are all better than what you have. Theresa's Booklight is the best, but right under that is the Voodoo Stick. Try to get one of those to help out a little. Remember, it's not about Gear Score.

I could go into every item you have like that, but I wont because that only helps you now. I'd rather spend my time teaching you how to learn how to do it yourself so you can continue to become more amazing beyond my help.

Reforging. I calcuated your stat weights and plugged them into AskMrRobot.com to get your optimal reforging and gemming. Your reforging was off by lot, but your gemming is perfect.

Off Hand 50 Hit -> 50 Crit
Hands 67 Mastery -> 67 Hit
Feet 59 Haste -> 59 Crit
Ring 1 (Shimmerclaw Band) 50 Hit -> 50 Crit
Ring 2 (Band of Secret Names) 50 Haste -> 50 Hit

Head, Shoulder, Back, Chest, Legs, Trinket 1, Trinket 2 Remove your reforge!

Only one Enchant was wrong in all of your gear so thats not bad. Your feet are enchanted with +50 haste right now. You really really really really don't want that. At ALL costs you should put Run Speed on your feet. Preferably +35 Mastery and Minor Movement Speed Boost (Lavawalker), but if you can't aquire the Maelstrom crystal it is still worth getting +30 Stamina and Minor Movement Speed Boost (Earthen Vitality). Being alive is SO important. It's easy to figure out how much dps you do as a corpse on the floor. Having this speed boost will help you so much.

That pretty much sums up what I have to say on your gear. If you have any more questions feel free to make a post on here and I'd be happy to help. That goes for anyone else reading this too.

Thanks,
-Guromin

Post 13 Jun 2011 16:36

Thanks for all the help yo!

Post 15 Jun 2011 05:25

User avatarGuromin

My pleasure :)

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

-Guromin