Restoration druid - Soul of the Forest

Restoration druid - Soul of the Forest

Post 10 Dec 2012 21:42

What are your thoughts on using Soul of the Forest as a resto druid?
With 5730 haste (+5%) + 4 piece set bonus, you are able to get WG with 13 ticks every about 12 seconds.

Is it worth losing 2-3% mastery, around 200 intellect, ~200 spirit and ToL?

Re: Restoration druid - Soul of the Forest

Post 11 Dec 2012 03:37

I will assume you use glyph of wild growth for this example:

My average Wild Growth tick (ilvl 500 with 4 set) is about 4200 on Empress heroic.

This means you gain about 25.2k healing every time you use Wild growth, sacrificing 2687 Mastery, which is:

1 mastery is 0.0020912 extra healing for all your spells, making 2687 mastery 5.6% of your healing.
A glyphed Wild growth will therefore heal for about 216k which means you already lose 12k healing sacrificing the cap, which is half of what you gain. Also you gotta take all the other heals into account.. So unless your Wild Growth is 50% of your total healing, and you only sacrifice Mastery for it, it is not worth it.
Rejuvenation should be your top healing spell for a majority of the fights anyway.

To answer your question more deeply, I recommend to not use that talent at all, unless you got 4 set and good gear (since you probably dont have amazing gear, and could use the mana saved on Tree of Life, am I right?, unless you feel it's better for a specific fight like Tsulong/Garalon normal without a Resto Shaman or Holy Priest (since their healing benefit a lot if people drop bellow 50%), for instance).

Yes, The talent is a massive boost to your Wild Growth, but man is it a pain to handle it without 4 set, forcing you to choose between innefficient heals instead of Swiftmend (On current hc content atleast), or waste a Soul of the Forest on something else than Wild Growth.

Keep in mind, Incarnation is THE biggest mana and throughput CD you have by far.

With 4 set, it becomes much easier to manage and will have a much better uptime.
Always go for Glyph of Wild Growth if you choose to go with this talent and have 4 set. If not, it might be worth not going for the glyph even in 25 man, depending on how you want to play or how serious you are.

And no, don't ever go for the 13th tick. Its not worth sacrificing your mastery.

I probably got something wrong in there since its 4:30 in the morning for me, but it's not worth to go for the cap anyhow.

Post 11 Dec 2012 08:39

Thanks for your thoughs :)
Decided to take ToL back since SotF didn't improve my healing almost at all. Instead it made timing harder and caused me to waste GCD's. Although healing wasn't too much affected.

Propably will be a future's talent choice when you don't have to sacrifice so much other secondary stats to reach the certain haste points, we'll see :)

Post 11 Dec 2012 17:57

3043 is your haste cap, and you shouldn't have to sacrifice anything but crit and a little Mastery for it.