Survival question

Survival question

Post 16 Aug 2011 14:41

Hey guys, I've been a surv hunter for 4 years now and do pretty well, but lately it seems I've hit a bit of a wall on my dps. I average between 18-20k dps, but can never seem to get above 20k or hold it solid. I have a good friend on my server that is also a Surv hunter and when he was at my current Item level his dps was around 25k. http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/f ... aha/simple is my armory page, I know the 371 pvp knecklace isn't optimal, but I couldn't seem to win a drop to save my life, and it was way better than what I had.
My rotation is as follows, Serpent sting, black arrow, exploding shot, then spam steady shot till exploding shot cd's or lock and load proc's, and i refresh black arrow whenever possible. I also have the engineering glove zappers that ill sometimes use when i have a split second before exploding shot cd's.
if you have any suggestions for me to get past this dps wall I would really appreciate it. One last question as well, I do have mm off spec, but is there any way possible to break the 30k crit mark in surv for the shannox fight, or do I always have to switch specs?.
Thanks again for any help you can offer and Congrats on your heroic Rag kill.

Re: Survival question

Post 16 Aug 2011 14:55

Couple things I forgot to mention in case they help, I use aspect of the hawk, try to use rapid fire in most opportune times and my main pet is Moe, which was King Bangledesh from stranglethorn vail.

Post 05 Oct 2011 22:52

You shouldn´t be shooting SS in Survival, you should use Cobra Shot. You should try do like this, SrS-->BA-->ES-->CoSx3-->ES again, whenever you need it, dump some focus with AS but try to always have enough focus for ES and BA when they go off CD.
Last edited by Flayy on 08 Oct 2011 19:32, edited 1 time in total.

Post 06 Oct 2011 03:34

You have way too much haste. As SV you only need roughly 6%. Reforge out of it into Crit -> Mastery. If youre engineering you should have the tinker to your gloves called Synapse Springs. You should then macro their use to any and all abilities. /use 10 is the glove slot. Your spec could use some work too. Take points out of Point of No Escape, 1 out of serpent spread and Careful Aim and put them into Go for the throat and Sic'em. Mastery or Agi glove enchant also.

Post 14 Oct 2011 17:22

Akish wrote:You have way too much haste. As SV you only need roughly 6%. Reforge out of it into Crit -> Mastery. If youre engineering you should have the tinker to your gloves called Synapse Springs. You should then macro their use to any and all abilities. /use 10 is the glove slot. Your spec could use some work too. Take points out of Point of No Escape, 1 out of serpent spread and Careful Aim and put them into Go for the throat and Sic'em. Mastery or Agi glove enchant also.

Really? Can you provide some math / simulation results, because I've been playing around with Survival in SimC in the past (4.2 ofc), and it really favors haste, by quite a lot, and if you look around, I am sure you will find that most people recommend haste, because the Survival rotation is so tight.

Post 15 Oct 2011 16:29

Change your spec to 3/7/31. The only flexibility you have is with the 2 points in entrapment, you can put them in Survival Tactics or Hunter vs. Wild depending on which one you desire most.

Gear: Change the gem in your gun to a Deadly Ember Topaz (+20agi, +20crit) and change the Glinting Demonseye (+20agi, +20hit) in you belt to a Delicate Inferno Ruby (+40agi). Change the Rigid Cogwheel to Crit. You should never gem straight hit.

After making the gem and talent changes use www.wowreforge.com to assist you in reforging your gear in the most optimal fashion.

Yes, you have too much haste. You only need 758 haste to cast three cobra shots between explosive shots. The additional haste above 758 isn't helping you to cast another cobra shot between explosives. Haste's primary function for SV is to reduce the cast time of Cobra Shot so that we can cast another one in-between Explosive Shots. These are called haste plateaus, where the first 758 haste is valued much more than the following haste up to 2265. That second haste plateau just isn't feasible for you in your gear. You'll have to gimp out too many other stats to reach it.

Please check out this link where Frostheim explains it in greater detail.

Lastly, here are the tests I did at Femaledwarf.com.

Before (no changes): 24788.36
After (suggested changes): 25601.90

Post 15 Oct 2011 17:32

Mascaron wrote:Change your spec to 3/7/31. The only flexibility you have is with the 2 points in entrapment, you can put them in Survival Tactics or Hunter vs. Wild depending on which one you desire most.

Gear: Change the gem in your gun to a Deadly Ember Topaz (+20agi, +20crit) and change the Glinting Demonseye (+20agi, +20hit) in you belt to a Delicate Inferno Ruby (+40agi). Change the Rigid Cogwheel to Crit. You should never gem straight hit.

After making the gem and talent changes use www.wowreforge.com to assist you in reforging your gear in the most optimal fashion.

Yes, you have too much haste. You only need 758 haste to cast three cobra shots between explosive shots. The additional haste above 758 isn't helping you to cast another cobra shot between explosives. Haste's primary function for SV is to reduce the cast time of Cobra Shot so that we can cast another one in-between Explosive Shots. These are called haste plateaus, where the first 758 haste is valued much more than the following haste up to 2265. That second haste plateau just isn't feasible for you in your gear. You'll have to gimp out too many other stats to reach it.

Please check out this link where Frostheim explains it in greater detail.

Lastly, here are the tests I did at Femaledwarf.com.

Before (no changes): 24788.36
After (suggested changes): 25601.90

This was some good advise.

Along with it, if you feel up to it and you feel like min/maxing a bit more, replacing mining with Jewelcrafting. Mining is absolute crap for any dps considering it only provides a stamina bonus. We don't need that.

"Saru mo ki kara ochiru" - "Even monkeys fall from trees."