Tank tips

Tank tips

Post 10 Jul 2011 21:17

hey, ive been a fury warrior for quite a while and am now going tank for the guild. im well geared (365 itemlvl) but take enormous damage for some reason, i found that even nefarian after the 20% nerf was jumpy damage, i was doing alysrazor today and was getting hit waay to hard, and was almost getting 1 shotted when the birds tantrumed. i realize that it must be something wrong with my gear setup, as the pieces themselfs are a high itemlvl.
heres a link to my armoury, i will try keep in tank gear set for the next few days, please take a look and drop any tips and ideas that would help, thanks.
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/c ... car/simple

Re: Tank tips

Post 10 Jul 2011 22:52

Well its either down to saving a defensive cooldown for when it does go into a tantrum, asking a healer to put one of their cooldowns on you, such as pain suppression, or just being near enough to one of the worms for the tantrum not to affect you too much. Your gear + gemming/reforging doesnt look to be a problem, but most tanks will suffer in the hands of those birds if they are just standing there taking the tantrum full on instead of using the mechanics to negate it. I do suggest you fix your leg enchant though;) there is a new one called Drakehide Leg Armor, giving 145 stamina + 55 dodge, which is nice, also your wrist enchant should be dodge, dont see what you really need hit/experitise for as a tank, taunts never miss, head enchant should be the one from Earthen Ring (vash'jir), not Dragonmaw one.

Regards

Post 11 Jul 2011 08:24

I would agree with Manarak always asking for a healer to use a cooldown on you will help sepcailly since you only have one use trinket that gives you health which you would really like some doge/parry (depending on class need) Yes and that new leg enchant is great finally somthing we can use.

I would also suggest getting rid of skinning and replacing with either blacksmithing ( for extra sockets) or Jewel Crafting (for +67 jems) Just don;t got for the samina one as well you will make use out of getting doge parry etc more avoidance the better.

in the alysrazor encounter use your cd on the bird when you will take the tantrum as you only tank alysrazor herself for a short peroid of time and even then you're tank swithcing due to the stacks.

in this fight both me and the other tank could take the first tantrum then feed . then the second and feed and then just feed to get rid of the adds on this i would use 2 cd maybe a 3rd if i was really taking damage.

Hope this helps

regards

and here is my character http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/v ... out/simple
Yes im still using blues ive been unlucky with drops but i find these to be the best 2 i have at the moment.

Post 11 Jul 2011 09:40

I would suggest taking a look at our warrior tanks profile: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/s ... n/advanced
Getting at least one mastery trinket is a must have in my books, looking for Spidersilk Spindle in the long run, and Mirror of Broken Images is something you should already have, buddying both of these up would be very useful if your over all health is enough to survive those big hits, since mastery will help smooth out those spikes. I would also change your shield enchant to the mastery one.

For Alysrazor tanks with the 26 expertise soft cap and a fair amount of hit can burn those birds down a lot faster (tanks should aim for the 100k dps mark). As for the spikey damage there are different ways of approaching which worms to take when, however you shouldn't need to blow a cooldown when you intend to eat a worm, and the one you do decide to take can be mentioned to the healers so they can prepare external cooldowns for it.

Hope this helps.

Post 11 Jul 2011 14:31

From a pure min max perspective you probably shouldn't follow the fact that the linked warrior tank puts a meta jc mastery gem in a red socket (shoulders) then puts a hybrid parry+mastery orange gem in a yellow socket (helm) passing on a free +15 stam.

Your gear doesn't seem to have any fluidity with gemming, chanting and forging. I am going to make this short cause i am not a teacher but; mastery>parry>dodge>exp>hit (close enough for wars anyways, i play a pally). Also mastery>stam (at least at your gear level). Therefore change almost all your gems to a mastery in yellow, parry+mastery in red and mastery+stam in blue. Reforge dodge to mastery in the card trink. Fix your head, bracers, legs and shield enchants, all are wrong. You also reforged at least half of your gear wrong, for exp, or hit, or whatever else. Follow the stat prio for that.

The thing is, even with that above mentioned things being wrong, you should not be dying to the birds (aside from lack of healing obviously). You absolutely can not be hit by the fire from the worms while taking the birds in to get satiate. If they tantrum, pop a cd. Attempt to work it like this 80% eat first worm, 60% second, 40% third, 20% last worm. If it goes down differently, and you use less, just chain the satiate debuff on the worm (ie. if you dont have to satiate till 70%, then 50% just use the last two at 30% then again when satiate falls). Lastly make sure you are doing a shit ton of damage, you will die if you are not.