Rupture vs. RuptureLess

Rupture vs. RuptureLess

Post 19 Jul 2010 17:40

I have NO access to spreadsheets for the next week or so, and just became curious after seeing certain rogues *cough mael* using rupture again. I am wondering what credentials make rupture better than ruptureless these days?

Re: Rupture vs. RuptureLess

Post 19 Jul 2010 19:09

Fact: Rupture does more overall dps, when it ticks for it's full duration with 5 cp.

Fact: Eviscerate spec does lower dps overall if you don't get rng on your side with mad crit % . + Slighty better on bosses with alot of switching.

Rupture delivers always pretty much the same dps, since rupture ticks so many times the crit % is usually around the value it should be.

With evi spec you can sometimes score very high dps values when stars align, and other way when they don't align, at all...

I havent been to icc for few weeks so ill use Rakez combat log parse from saurfang as an example, I compare it to some other rogues saurfang with evi spec.

Rakez - Rupture @Saurfang - Armory

Zingo - Eviscerate @Saurfang - Armory

Rakez's, average rupture tick: 2,372, crit chance: 59,3%
Rupture ticks 10 times per application: average dmg per rupture used 23,720

Zingo's average evis hit: 21,706, crit chance: 90%

Zingo also overgearing Rakez by 4 better items. Total static dps increase from those, 250ish?

So rupture does alot more dmg than evi in comparsion with equal crit chance. Rupture rotation is a bit harder to play than evi, but if you time your rotation well you'll out dps evi spec with rupture spec with similar gear without rng.

Rotation is pretty much this: Keeping 5cp rupt up and using 4-5cp evis when you can keep rupture uptime very high.

Re: Rupture vs. RuptureLess

Post 19 Jul 2010 20:10

The thing with rupture is that for it to really deal better damage you need it to be able to tick for the whole duration, while eviscerate can get the full amount of damage no matter what.

Also, there's the thing that most spreadsheets calculate the numbers for rupture specs for skyhigh uptimes. For example my estimated rupture uptime shows 92%, which often is quite a bit higher than you can actually achieve. When looking at most wmo logs of rogues using rupture you'll see more like 75-85% uptimes. Most of this is because the fights are so short and getting your rotation going already takes more than 10 seconds if you want to get 2 sets of cooldowns.

Currently near-bis crit rates are nearing and in most cases surpassing 60%. This along with the ever shortening fight duration makes it increasingly easier to get lucky with eviscerate critting several times in a row. As you can see in Zingo's log the fight took over 2 minutes and he has for some reason only used killing spree once, but his incredible luck with 90% evi crits and 100% kspree crits pretty much got him covered.

If you feel like doing constant, more reliable (and in most cases better) damage I'd go with rupture but if you want to gamble a bit more and have a more believable reason to cry out for hysteria or two maybe eviscerate is a better choice. Overall I feel that rupture works best, the rotation aint that hard but certainly more frustrating than eviscerate only rotations.

Combat / Mutilate / Subtlety guides.
Shadowcraft spreadsheet.