UH or Frost?

UH or Frost?

Post 26 Jul 2011 18:56

Hi, so its been bugging me lately if having a Frost DPS spec and an Unholy DPS spec is a good idea. I'm wondering this because on some fights as Unholy my DPS isn't the best while our frost DK is pooping on things. So I decided to get some expert opinions on this. If this is a good idea what fights would be best to switch to? (I have an idea of what ones I just want a second opinion).

Re: UH or Frost?

Post 17 Aug 2011 17:19

User avatarMasto

As someone who's comfortably farming 6/7 HMs, I can tell you firsthand that there's really no point to go UH, except AMZ on Majordomo. DW Frost trumps it for every encounter, from Spiderlings on Beth to the versatility on Rhyo. Not to mention DW frost in equivalent gear is just straight bigger numbers, if only barely. However, if you enjoy the UH playstyle (which I personally do), it works fine on all encounters, except Beth/Rag.

Really it's up to you, and what your raid needs.

Re: UH or Frost?

Post 19 Aug 2011 21:49

Totally wrong. YOU CAN pull A LOT of dps with UH. It is definetely possible to push 30k DPS with the unholy specc. However, due to the majority of Crits + unholy presence Frost is simply just preferred (And if you are to judge two good players on the same level in skills, I think the one with frost would win). You can definetely go for unholy as long as you manage to do some good DPS with it. I'm pretty sure you wonder why I wrote "Totally wrong". I don't mean that, however, Unholy is quite good at ragnaros due to AMZ to prevent damage while stacking up. Especially on raggy HC since the fight is somewhat, very long and the unholy specc is actually preferred on bosses with high HPs. Nefarian and Sinestra for instance, were bosses in the previous content where the unholy specc simply just ruled (and the AMZ shield is pretty good at crackles as well, but I guess AMZ was removed during that content? Am I right?).

Just play what you are best at, and if there are speccs that are required more on specific bosses (for instance, frost is pretty good on shannox to get high threat on the dog, and AMZ is good at ragnaros HC and Majordomo? As mentioned earlier from the previous writer to prevent raid damage). AND, maybe your guild wants you to play unholy/frost. Me, as an example, enjoyed frost during the last content, but was forced to play unholy in our 25 man group).

But remember. If you bring three DKs on raggy HC, im 95% sure 2/3 will go frost)

Cheers.