Masters of WoW and Languages?

Masters of WoW and Languages?

Post 21 Jul 2011 02:50

Hi. My first post, though I've followed the guild since I was still living in Japan more than a year ago. I'm currently a Master's student in Applied Linguistics, learning how to teach languages and how people learn them, and I have to say, I've consistently been blown away by the posts on this website. I've taught literally more than 500 people, and there are lots of international students in my department, but very, very few of them have the ability to pump out page after page of absolutely flawless English. You use tons of idioms and original metaphors, you know when and how to deviate from "standard English grammar" for effect, you make a lot of genuinely funny jokes, you use structures and words that are always appropriate for your target audience, and it all sounds entirely natural. I remember several times--in particular, the 'spirit soak' blog explanation of the LK fight, but really there are many--where I really could not believe that a non-native speaker had written it.

How on Earth do you do it? Seriously. "No-one is prepared for the locomotive magnificence of the Firelord's lower limbs".... really now?! Who says that? I know plenty of native English speakers who wish they could come up with something like that. Hell, I wish I could come up with something like that. I know the Finnish education system is supposed to be amazing and wonderful, but if all you're doing is what your education has enabled you to do, we in Canada, let alone in the US or Japan (god help you), have a LOT to learn.

Re: Masters of WoW and Languages?

Post 21 Jul 2011 12:57

User avatarxenophics

I'll try to answer your question even when I'm not one of the masters of written English in our guild.

Finland indeed has a very good educational system, but I think it's safe to say that none of us would have been able to reach this level without the internets. Myself I really started using English for the first time when I joined an international guild around 4 years ago. Chatting on Ventrilo and IRC together with reading books in English and speaking with gaming enthusiasts around the world has really helped me to improve.

Some of the quotes in your post come from Jhazrun and Synti. I wish I was on their level, even when sometimes I have to read Jhazrun's sentences multiple times to even begin to understand what he means :)

Post 24 Jul 2011 19:25

Thank you for the reply! It would definitely help to be in a quasi-immersion environment for an extended period of time, but still. Usually, I'd expect at least a few mistakes from time to time. Still, all the better that there aren't any! I have plenty of students from Europe who play WoW, and perhaps I could encourage them to read some of your blogs for some extra credit, haha.

Post 25 Jul 2011 17:58

Jhazrun is one hell of a guy when it comes to the advanced english on the forum. I'm not sure I've EVER understood any of his sentences. Well, of course the words, but not the formulated meaning of them.